Sister

Sister

Serving as a Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint in the Texas, Fort Worth Mission

Saturday, May 31, 2014

4/28/14 Week 7



So I'm an official Texan now…wanna know why? Cuz I said "ya'll"  for the first time unintentionally.  Yep, it was going to happen sooner or later! People say "ya'll"  here ALL the time, even when it doesn't make any sense.  For example: "I luv ya'lls shoes" ...uh thanks but I'm pretty sure they're only mine...ha-ha   I'm not actually around them good ole ya'llin Texan folk too much.  I'm with the Hispanics and there's always crazy stuff going on!  


Me and my new super cool trainer, Hermana Black
Yesterday Sister Black and I were teaching the H.. familia, well Sis Black was teaching and I was trying my best to concentrate, but I was having a rather difficult time paying attention because there were 2 kids riding their scooters through the tiny room we were in, and the youngest daughter was making a really fun game out of putting stickers on my face then taking them off, then putting them on again.  I'm definitely learning patience!
  
Anyways, this week was pretty great now that I'm kinda getting the swing of things! We taught some seriously awesome lessons with the Merino family (the ones getting baptized) and they came to church on Sunday. The rest of the week was full of teaching our other investigators and potentials....but then Friday came...dun dun dun!  Sis Black and I officially named this day "The best worst day of our lives."  Want to hear the story?

Ok, Thursday night we were planning and we were super stoked because we had SEVEN set appointments for the next day!  After our studies that's one every hour!  So then the next day we decided to start our "best day ever" off with a good workout so we went to the track and then couldn't get in because all the gates for some reason were chained shut..bummer.  Then we studied, planned a bunch of awesome lessons, and even had to skip our lunch so we could fit in all of our appointments.  So we go to our first appointment, and she says she all of a sudden has to go to the hospital! Ok that's understandable…please don't die.  We then head to our next appt.  No one is home.  Then our next appointment wants to reschedule, and our next 2 appts call and cancel!!  Our whole day fell apart!

So after our lunch appointment canceled we decided that since 5 of our 7 had already canceled and it wasn't even 1pm we deserved Chick-Fil-A.  While we were eating we remembered we needed to get our car safety inspection done, so we decided that would be a good use of our time.  We drove over there and the mechanic guy says "oh sorry girls, the guy who does safety inspections couldn't come in today".   Even the car guy no-showed on us!  At this point it's just funny.  

We somehow filled several hours with stop-bys, and finally dinner  (the only appt that didn't cancel) at which time I hear the words I dread most..."sorry Hermana it's a little spicy"  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  If a native says "it's a little spicy", I know that I, who can't even eat pepperoni pizza, am doomed.  Nothing could have prepared me for the pain I endured that dinner.  It was like forcing myself to swallow a flame thrower!!  I seriously didn't know food could do that to me!  I started getting super sweaty and itchy, my lips and anywhere the sauce touched on my skin burned, and after the 3rd chunk of meat I started seeing black spots!  Luckily Hermana Cruz could tell I was in agony so she gave me fried pork skin to dull the spice...barf.

So that was officially our "Best Worst Day" because even though it stunk that we didn't teach any lessons and I ate fire....it was so funny!  Sorry this email is so long, and this isn't even half of what I want to tell ya'll.  But I love you guys so much! The church is true!:)

All the Newbies - Day One in Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment